Leadership and Governance in Higher Education –
Handbook for Decision-makers and Administrators
This handbook aims to provide leaders, members of governing bodies and senior administrators of higher education institutions with a user-friendly tool to support their work which is practically oriented as well as based on reflections of principle. The handbook is published as a journal consisting of a basic edition and regular supplemental volumes (hard copy plus online), all of which can be collected in a ring folder.
The handbook is composed of five major sections:
- Context and Concepts, focuses on definitions and understandings, rationale, key features of good governance, levels, structures, mechanisms, etc;
- Leadership and Good Governance of Higher Education Institutions
brings the topic to the institutional level;
- Change Processes: Vision-Decision-Action is entirely dedicated to change, from generating ideas and identifying needs, to implementation and evaluation;
- Leading Higher Education Institutions: Issues, Tools, Practices, includes practical contributions on a variety of topics, both in terms of long-term strategic planning and in terms of short-term, day-to-day management; and
- Institutional Governance in National Contexts,
which begins with a general presentation of a few main governance modes and will, in future supplements, include critical reflection on governance in different higher education systems.
The complementary website aims to
inform you about the contents, authors and editors of the handbook. Moreover, it will provide you, as a subscriber, with free access to an electronic version of the articles written in the handbook – among other things.
are leading practitioners and experts from the respective fields. For a complete list and more details, please click on the “Authors” button.
A “must have”
for all those planning, managing and implementing the historical reforms taking place within higher education institutions and systems, from governing body to senates/academic boards and through to the organs of governance at faculty and departmental levels.
The work is jointly edited by
a diverse team of five experienced leaders in the field of higher education. To find out more about the editorial team click on the “Editors” button.
Are you interested in ordering the handbook?
If so, please click on “Prices and ordering” button to find the ordering details.